The construction of the castle of Assos started in 1585, when local
ambassadors asked the Venetians to build a second castle for the better protection
of the island.
The area was chosen because the peninsula is extremelly precipitous
so it’s not easy to be conquired by sea after a naval attack. Assos became the
capital of the northern part of the island and the castle is a typical masterpiece
of the Renaissance.
The aim to establish residents failed due to its far-off position.
A century later, in 1684, the Venetians reconquired Lefkas
and the castle lost its strategical importance. It operated until 1943 as an agricultural
Today, one can still see the ruins of the walls, the house of the
Venetian chief-master, military buildings and St Marco's church. The Ministry
of Culture works for the protection and conservation of the castle which for centuries
hulks over the Ionian sea, offering a magnificent view to all directions.