The Geometric settlement of Zagora lies on a plateau of a steep headland, 160 m. a.s.l.
At the end of the 19th century, the then Ephor of Antiquities, Ant. Meliarakis located the site but
excavations were carried out much later, in 1960 by the Ephor of Antiquities Nicholas Zapheiropoulos.
A more extensive campaign was undertaken by Prof. Alexander Kambitoglou from 1965 until 1972 and
revealed a large part of the settlement. Restricted restoration work has been carried out at the site,
mainly at the house walls.
A large section of the Geometric settlement has been brought to light. It dates to the 10th-8th
centuries BC and is protected with a strong wall, 110 m. long, on the side of the inland. The settlement was
entered through a large gate, which was reconstructed in the 6th century BC, when the temple was also built.
The sanctuary, whose founding dates back to the 8th century BC, continued to function until the 5th century
BC although the settlement had been abandoned in around 700 BC. The temple, built in around 575-500 BC,
is megaron-shaped, has a closed porch and cella, which included the old altar. The deity worshipped here was
probably the goddess Athena.
Art & culture
- Visiting Information
- Admission fee
- Fixed hours
- Organized archeological site
- Ancient settlement
- Geometric period, 1025-700 BC
- Ancient monuments
- Walls: Geometric period, 1025-700 BC
- Houses: Geometric period, 1025-700 BC
- Temples: Archaic period, 700-480 BC
- As a monument is administered by:
- Excavations / Surveys conducted by:
- Finds are exhibited at the museums: