During the last century many travellers had visited the ruins of the villa and had described various remains and findings . In 1906 Konstantinos Romaios read two inscriptions and identified with certainty the remains of the structure with the villa of Herodes Atticus.
Tradition wants a Turk with the name Veli-Pasas to be the first excavator
of the site. In 1977 a small rescue excavation was carried out by Dr. G. Steinchauer.
In 1979-1996 systematic excavation and conservation were undertaken by Dr. Th.
Spyropoulos. The land was also purchased by the Greek Government and fenced. Τhe
finds (numerous statues and mosaic floors) are exhibited in the Museums of Astros
The most important monuments of the site are:
Villa of Herodes Atticus. They have already been revealed the atrium, the artificial
ditch-river, three porticos with mosaic floors, the exedra (platform), the Megaron
and the baths of the south side of the villa.
Bridge and aqueduct of the Imperial Roman times.