It is a historical monastery
of the 15th century, which collapsed in the earthquake of 1612 and was rebuilt with the financial aid of the Venetians. During the Ottoman
conquest of Crete, the monastery was destroyed and devastated by the Turks. In 1704 the monastery was declared stauropegion. During
the Ottoman occupation there was a school in the monastery, while, after 1870, it was founded there a school of mutual teaching.
The Monastery is enclosed by a fortress
The main complex of 800 m2 has three floors, which are divided into cells, guest - houses, kitchens, the abbot's residense and warehouses.
The katholicon is a two-aisled church; the northern aisle is dedicated to the Virgin, and the southern posterior aisle, to St John the Theologian.
The monastery' s characteristic bell tower
bears relief crowns and crosses with inscriptions and the date 1558.
The 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities carried out works of consolidation and restoration.
In the Monastery, there is also an interesting Museum