The monastery lies in a paltean, a little above the monastery of Karakallou
about 2.5 hrs from Karyes and is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin.
The Katholicon is built shortly before the mid 18th c. and decorated with frescoes
after the mid 18th c. The monastery has eight chapels and 13 kellia, one of them
The monastery was founded in the last quarter of the 10th c. but only
in the end of the 11th c. takes the form of a monastery. In the end of 13th and
14th c. the monastery receives financial aid by the emperors of Byzantium and
the Serbian rulers. After the fall of the empire, the monastery is financially
supported by the rulers of eastern Europe. In 1871, the monastery with the exception
of the Katholikon, the Refectory and the library, is burnt to the ground.
The monastery owns many heirlooms, holy relics and above all the miraculous
icon of the Virgin Glykophilousa. The library contains 250 manuscripts and many
The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 50 monks.