The cemetery was discovered by accident and at present it is fenced.
Besides, the procedure of the purchase of the land by the Greek Government has
Two Mycenaean cemeteries were excavated in 1955 by the then director
of the Ephorate, Prof. Chr. Christou. In 1979, excavations began under the direction
of the current director of the Ephorate , Dr. Theodoros Spyropoulos, and they
lasted twelve years.
One hundred rock-cut tombs of different types (tholoi, chamber tombs,
pit-graves, cist-graves and graves in the shape of a well) and also
a construction used for worship and religious ceremonies have been revealed.
This kind of construction was interpreted by the excavator as a Necyomanteion
of Late Mycenaean date. Its shape matches the Homeric description found in Iliad
The numerous finds
from the tombs of the cemetery are exhibited in the Archaeological
Museum of Tripolis.