The cave was discovered almost accidentally by Mr. and Mrs. Petrocheilos in 1958.
It is situated very close to important natural caves of the area which attract
The Archaeological excavations started in 1958 and were conducted
by the Greek Speleological Society. In 1970 the director of the Ephorate G. Papathanasopoulos
continued the investigations at the area.
The most important monuments of the site are the Neolithic cave of
Diros and the museum that houses the findings from the excavations