Aghios Gerassimos’ monastery dates back to the 16th century.
The Saint, patron of the island, lived and taught here from 1560 until
his death in 1579, leaving behind magnificent samples of his ascetic life.
His relics are kept in the monastery’s church and his memory
is honoured on 16th August and on 20th October.
This text (extract) is cited January 2004 from the Assoc.
of Local Authorities of Kefalonia & Ithaca tourist pamphlet.