The cloister of Agios Markos was built in 1886 on the Penthodos mountain
and is approximately 15 kilometers from the town of Chios. It was built by the
ascetic Parthenios who was from the village of Dafnona
in Chios and led his ascetic life in a nearby cave. The Monastery offered valuable
services to the Greek army during the liberation of the island in 1912 from the
yoke of the Turks. Religious painting developed in the Monastery around 1900.
Today, two monks live in the Monastery and a wealthy library has been preserved.