This was built in the 16th century and played an important role in
the revolution of 1822, when it was destroyed by the Turks. It was restored by
the monk Athanasios in 1880 - 90. The last monk died in 1983. Every year on August
1, the resident of Psara bring the icon of the kimisis to the town, and conduct
prayers in the home. After vesper services for the feast day of the Saviour (Tou
Sotiros) on August 5, the icon is returned to the monastery.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.