In the center of the city of Loutraki
is the Cathedral dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. The first building, which
was founded on February 1st 1886, was destroyed by an earthquake. The present
Church was built in the same place in 1933 and founded by His Reverence Metropolite
Damaskinos on April 10, 1933. The style of the church based on a study by Orlando,
is a three-aisle basilica with its middle aisle raised in order to obtain plenty
and natural sunlight. The hagiography is exceptional and according to Byzantine
style. This can be seen in the masterpiece of the Most Holy Virgin Mother in the
middle niche of the sanctuary is dated prior to 1930s. In the church there are
some portable holy icons and delicated wood-carved holy icon-stands of Saint John
the Baptist and Osios Patapios.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Municipality
of Loutraki - Perachora tourist pamphlet.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.