lies on the south slope of the hill called "Frourion" (Fortress) at
It was built at the end of the 3rd century BC and continued to be used in the Roman
period. Parts of the
cavea with the rows of marble seats
have been uncovered.
The excavation of the theatre started in 1910 and has been continued
with intervals by the 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities. In order for the excavations to proceed to the revealing of the monument, were required extensive appropriations of private plots and the
demolition of the overlying contemporary buildings