It is the
house in which Alexandros Papadiamandis, one of the most important Greek authors
of the past century was born, lived and died. It was built in 1850 -1860 by father-Adamantios,
the author's grandfather. The ground floor was used for storage and the 1st floor
It is a small two-storie-building of folk architecture, 35 sq.m. in
the ground floor and 40 sq.m. in the 1st floor. Its walls are made either of stone
or of "tsatma" -light construction of wood and plaster. The four-inclination wooden
roof is covered with tiles of the "byzantine" type. The doors and windows are
wooden, quite big in dimention and made according to the local type called "nailed".
The staircase and the floors are wooden and generally all its special elements
preserve the original traditional colour. Works of general repairing and supporting
of the building were done in 1990. in 1994 the basement was tuned to an exhibition
The 1st floor is preserved as the house of Alexandros Papadiamandis
with its original furniture and objects of the time, whereas the ground floor
is functionning as an exhibition room of different traditional objects of Skiathos.
In 1954 the building was bought by the State and since then it belongs
to Skiathos Municipality. In 1965 it was characterized as a preserved monument
by the Ministry of Culture.