The construction of the theatre
probably dates back to the Hellenistic period, but the remains visible today belong
to the Roman phase of the monument. Preserved are the
with seven marble rows of seats,
the floor of the stage building,
and many elaborate architectural parts.
The clearing of the monument began on the initiative of king Ludwig
II of Bavaria when Otto was the king of Greece, and the ruins were drawn in 1838
by French specialists. Excavations began in 1989 and revealed the earlier orchestra,
the floor of the stage building and many architectural parts.