The city's Public Library (web site http://www.nikiforos.edu.gr) was
founded in 1972 and opened its doors in 1974 using the books of the former Municipal
Library. In 1981 it was made Central regarding the Laconian, Messinian and Arcadian
It belongs to the group of public libraries supervised by the Library
Department of the Ministry of Education. The sections of Laws 1362 and 1949 control
its organization and operation. A seven - member Board is responsible for the
It has been housed in its vastly premises since 1989. An auditorium
with a capacity of 300 is also available and it is currently used by the community
centre of the Municipality of Sparta.
The central Public Library consists of the following:
ADULT DIVISION: Book corpus, book loaning, reading room, newspaper and magazine
section, PCs for public use.
INFORMATION CENTER: Information available both in written and electronic forms
(legislation and more).
RECORD ARCHIVES - AUDIOVISUAL: CD - ROM, classical music CDs, slides, documentaries
on videotape, opera, children's stories and more for individual or team use.
CHILDREN'S DIVISION: Book corpus, book loaning, reading room, audiovisual (TV,
video, music and slides), board games, puppet shows. NIKIFOROS VRETTAKOS ARCHIVE.
LOCAL TYPE MUSEUM.
SEMINAR ROOM: capacity of 30 people, with audiovisual equipment.
AUDITORIUM (music, training programmes).