Kondias was a municipality till 1914. It was mentioned that many years
ago two Peloponnesian landowners used to live here. Their names were Kondeas and
Chandreas. So the village was named Kondias and the river of the region, Chandrias.
Kondias is undoubtedly one of the most traditional villages of the island. The
stone built houses are quite characteristic. Many of these once belonged to shipowners,
who lived in the village. Coming out of the village to Tsimandria
one meets plane trees and eucalyptus, quite impressive for the island.
This text (extract) is cited June 2003 from the Lemnos
Provincial Government tourist pamphlet (1997).
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.