At an exceptional part of East Lokrida
built on a 240 m. altitude onto the plateau of the peninsula Aitolimi lies Malessina.
It was recorded as Malessina for the first time in 1699, before that, it was called
Melinitzes. It was inhabited by the Franks and came under the ducat of Athens
and Theves. On April 1894 Malessina suffered great damage from the strong earthquake
that struck the whole Lokrida area and was rebuilt in today's state having a modern
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Community
of Malessina tourist pamphlet (1996).
Community office of:
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.