Koryfi is the last village of the Prefecture of Trikala
. It is
surrounded by the steep, rocky mountains Kaprovouni and Katafyli and is built
amphitheatrically. The lowest edge of the village is defined by Acheloos. The
old denomination of the village was Kaproi and was first inhabited after the sortie
the armed and thieves that were on the run. So, the first inhabitants of the village
were the "Mpotsareoi", who were forced to change their name because they were
Koryfi was the seat of the thief Thymios Tsekouras who acted there
from 1895 until 1920. The village was destroyed from the earthquake and was reconstructed
with new buildings, roads, squares and shops. The traditional color of the village
is preserved by the "Dristella" which is found in the bed of Acheloos
and the historical watermill as well as by many stone fountains in different places
of the village.
Koryfi is inhabited in the winter as well and has taken new life as
the residents are occupied not only with cattle-breeding, but other works as well.
The big church of the village is Agios Georgios, but Koryfi celebrates when a
small country church celebrates which is devoted to the Assumption.