The lighthouse dominates at the Tainaron Cape, the famous Cavo Matapa as the seamen call it. French constructed in 1882 and operated for the first time in 1887. The square tower of a 16 meters height, is still crowned by the two-levels metallic cabin with the lighten machinery and the rotary reflector.
The first renovation to the lighthouse took place in 1930. During the German Occupation was out of order and in 1950, after a second renovation, had 3 lighthouse keepers. Since 1984, have been replaced by an automatic lighten machine.