The lighthouse was constructed in 1907. The height of the tower is 19 meters and its focal plane 62 meters. It’s located on Pontikonissi, a small, rocky, desolate and anhydrous island at the northeast of Artemissio.
It’s an A class lighthouse, one of the best of Greek Lighthouses Network. It’s the only mixed lighthouse, which provide a stable white light for free sail. It flashes white light for the Leftheris reef, which is between Skiathos island and Magnessia, and red light for the Skiathos reefs.
Close to the Pontikonissi, was also another small island, the Myonisos, which at the earthquake of 1758 was sunk.