The neoclassical building that houses the collection was con structed
in 1903 and was originally used as the Primary School of the town. In 1988 it
was granted to the Ministry of Culture in order to become an archaeological museum
to shelter the finds from Distomon and the adjacent areas. The two rooms at the
basement of the building are currently used as a workshop for the conservation
of mosaics and as a hall for temporary exhibitions (mostly including photographs
etc. concerning the slaughter of the inhabitants of Distomon by the German army
The collection of Distomon includes finds from the ancient sites
of Ambrossos (Distomon), Antikyra and Medeon (Paralia Distomou).
The most important items of the collection are:
Pottery from Medeon. Vases found in the cemetery of ancient Medeon,
spanning the long period from the Mycenaean to the Roman era (14th century B.C.
- 2nd century A.D.).
Pottery from Antikyra. Various vases dated to the period between
the 8th and the 2nd centuries B.C.
Clay sima. The sima preserves the outlet for the rain water, in the
form of a lion's head and comes from an unknown building of Antikyra. Dated to
the 4th century B.C. (inv. no. 17882).