EL
Greek Travel Pages

Collection of St. Catherine of Sinai

Last Update: Jul 2012
Museum HERAKLIO , CRETE , GREECE
Monis Odigitrias Street, Agia Aikaterini Square, 71201 HERAKLIO , CRETE , GREECE
Tel.: +30 2810 288825 , Fax: +30 2810 326759
Opening hours:
01Jun - 31Oct Tue-Sun, 0900-1600
01Nov - 31May Tue-Sun, 0830-1500

Collection of St. Catherine of Sinai - Overview

  The Monastery of Agia Aikaterine of Sinai, which originally was a dependency of the respective Monastery on Mount Sinai and today belongs to the metropolitan church of Agios Menas, was an important cultural and artistic centre of Crete under Venetian occupation until the fall of Chandax (Herakleion) to the Ottoman Turks in 1669. During the Venetian era, the Monastery housed an Academy, where, according to the historical tradition, taught important Cretan scholars of the 16th century, such as Ioannis Morezenos, Ioasaph Doreianos, Ieremias Palladas. Students of the same school were the later patriarchs of Constantinople Meletios Pegas and Kyrillos Loukaris.
  The preserved katholikon of the Monastery and the chapel of Agioi Deka today house a collection of representative works of the Cretan Byzantine and Post-Byzantine art, which functions under the auspices of the Communication and Education Department of the Holy Archdiocese of Crete. Among the exhibits are the icons attributed to the reknowned Cretan painter of the 15th century Angelos, as well as six icons by Michael Damaskenos, among the most important works of the Cretan School of icon painting of the 16th century. The 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities has also included in this collection detached wall paintings from the church of Michael Archangelos at Preveliana of Monofatsio, from the church of Panagia at Patsos of Amari, and from other monuments of the island.

The following collections are on display:
  • Icons
  • Ecclesiastical books and manuscripts
  • Vestments
  • Ecclesiastical vessels and relics
  • Wall-paintings
  • Wood-carvings
  • Sculptures

  Some of the most important exhibits are:
- "St Phanourios", portable icon of the 15th century from the Odegetria Monastery at Kainourio, attributed to the painter Angelos.
- "Deisis (Obsecration)", portable icon of the 15th century from the church of the Taxiarches at Geraki.
- "Christ Pantocrator", portable icon of the 15th century from Gouves at Pediada.
- "The Adoration of the Magi", portable icon of the 16th century, painted by Michael Damaskenos.
- "Theotokos the Vatos", portable icon of the 16th century, painted by Michael Damaskenos.
- "The Last Supper", portable icon of the 16th century, painted by Michael Damaskenos.
- "Holy Liturgy", portable icon of the 16th century, painted by Michael Damaskenos.
- "Icons of the Dodekaorton", from the iconostasis of the Monastery of Kera Kardiotissa at Pediada. 17th century.

Collection of St. Catherine of Sinai - Map

Executives & Departments

  • Information office, Tel.: 2810 288394, 2810 288484, Fax: 2810 288484, Email:  
    13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities

Principals / HQ / participations...

Subsidiaries / affiliates / members...

Activities / facilities / services / specialization

Museum

Art & culture

Museum • Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Museum • Ecclesiastical Art Museum
Museum exhibits • Manuscripts • Books collection • Frescoes • Icons
Periods of the exhibits • Post-Byzantine period, 1453-1821 • Byzantine period, AD 324-1453

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.