Akropolis 1 km northwest of modern village. Stretches of polygonal
and isodomic fortification wall are preserved (in use from 6th century BC - reign
of Justinian). Temple and altar dedicated to Athena, remains of a Neolithic settlement
and kiln, ruins of Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic period as well as foundations
of a Byzantine church dedicated Mary have been attested.
The site was excavated by the American School of Classical Studies
between 1911 and 1935. Archaelogical activity resumed in years 1990 - 1992. The
excavated area has been expropriated and fenced. Small - scale restoration has