that suffered two severe damages in 218 B.C. and in 206 B.C. by
king Philip V of Macedonia
The first excavations on the site were conducted by G. Soteriadis
in the years 1897-1908 and continued by K. Rhomaios in 1912-1932. Work was resumed
in 1983 and is still in progress.
The most important monuments of the area are:
Elliptical and rectangular buildings,
Megaron A and Megaron B. The two latter are currently under study and their date
and function remain problematic.
Temple of Apollo Thermios:
It is situated in the northeast
part of the sanctuary. Two main architectural phases are distinguished: the Archaic
building, with rich terracotta decoration, and a second structure, dated to the
3rd century B.C.
East and West Stoas:
They belong to an architectural type characteristic
of northwest Greece. Platforms and stelae with honorary decrees were erected in
front of the East Stoa .
Rectangular building with a colonnade
(prostasis) on the north side. It was located in the southeast part of the precinct.
It was built to the north of the West Stoa, and
was shaped as a rectangular cistern with a semicircular platform on the east side.