protecting the fortress (Castro) of Sanoudos
in Chora, Naxos. The wall surrounding the fortress is pentagonal and has three gates. The Glezos tower (Krispi)
stands near the northwestern gate and extends in part along the western and northern
side of the fortress (Castro). It has four levels (floors) and it is the only
tower in Naxos that has also a round tower
attached to it.
In 1207 Frankish rule was established in the Aegean. The Venetian
Markos II Sanoudos built the fortress of Chora in Naxos with circuit towers, one of which, the Glezos tower
(Crispi) is still preserved. Over the main entrance to the tower is the
coat of arms of the Crispi family
The tower has been ceded by its owner, Mr. Petros Glezos to the Archaeological
Service, to become home of the first Byzantine Museum in the Cyclades.