Messochoria, of the Municipality of Styra, took their name from one
of the villages. These villages, aside from Messochori
itself, are Riza, Souristra, the Charitides and Korfiotes, which is located on
the height. Along with the hamlets of Raptei
and Tsakei they have a population
of around 600.
The villages are located around 3.5 km from the Aegen
Sea and have two exits onto the discharges of the small dry streams, where
there are the bays of Almyriki (or Armyrorychi) and Limnionas. During the German
occupation, Greek and British members of the resistance escaped to the Middle
East from these bays and that at Tsakei. The bay of Limniona with its clean sand
has today developed into a summer resort.
There is a stone fountain with a vaulted arch at Kamara. This village
was known as Paleochori in Byzantine times. The hermitages of St. Dimitrios, St.
Nicholas and St. George, with a vaulted arch in the sanctuary, are still standing.
In the ravine there are the remains of a watermill which was built in 1890. A
trip to the ruins of the Monastery of the Evangelism of Tsakei, which today still
functions as a monastery due to the presence of one nun, is worth a visit.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality
of Styra tourist pamphlet.