The Archaeological Museum of Aigina was the first to be established in Greece. It was founded in 1829 under the supervision of A. Moustoxydis. The present-day building was constructed in 1980 at the archaeological site of
Kolona and it is a donation of the Bavarian Society of the Friends of the Museum. It is planned to transfer the collection permanently to the Kapodistrian Orphanage of Aigina.
Among the most notable exhibits of the Museum are:
Middle Helladic pithamphora (1700 BC) with a depiction of ships with oarsmen.
Fragment of a Middle Helladic vase showing a man standing either on a fish or on the bow of a ship. Ca. 1700 BC.
Mycenaean bridge-mouth jug of Early Palace style. Around 1450 B.C.
Protocorinthian kotyle (cup) with a representation of horsemen.
Attic black figured amphora with a battle scene. First quarter of the 5th century B.C.
The Ram Jug. Protoattic vase of the middle of the 7th century B.C. It shows Odysseus and his comrades escaping from Polyphemos by hanging onto the horns of the rams.
Archaic inscription from the Aphaia sanctuary.
A large Protoattic amphora with Chimaera and Sphinxes.
Terracotta statue of Herakles from a pediment. Dated to 560 B.C.
Marble sphinx. Dated to 460 B.C.