The first Archaeological Museum of Piraeus was founded in 1935,
in order to host the antiquities which derived from the archaeological research in the wider area of the city, the western coast of Attica and the Argosaronikos islands.
In 1966 the museum was expanded by the addition of a new building,
the contemporary Museum,
which is located within the archaeological site of the hellenistic theatre of Zea.
The rich archaeological material of the museum collections covers a time span from the 18th century BC to the 4th century AD,
depicting the evolution of the ancient city of Piraeus, the most important harbour of the ancient greek world and gate to Athens.
The most important exhibits of the Museum are:
A fine collection of sculptured grave monuments of the 5th and 4th centuries B.C.
Reconstruction of Kybele's sanctuary from Moschato, dated to the 4th century.
Grave monument from Kallithea of the 4th century B.C.
Bronze statues of Athena and Artemis of the Classical period from Piraeus.
The Apollo of Piraeus, a bronze statue of the Kouros type, dated to the late 6th century B.C.
Grave stele showing two young hoplites of the Peloponnesian War (420-410 B.C.)
Dedicatory relief to Asklepios, 4th century B.C.
Bronze tragic mask of the 4th century B.C.
A rare bronze trireme ram of the classical period.