MONI AGIOU PANTELEIMONOS (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23252, 23201
The monastery is built in a bay near the Xenophontos monastery, from the side of Siggitikos and is dedicated to its namesake Saint. It gives the impression of a small city with its many-stored buildings and the churches' tall cupolas. The Katholicon is built in the early 19th c. and its frescoes are typical of the russian art. The monastery has 15 chapels and 5 kellia, 2 of them at Karyes. The monastery also owns the Chromitsa metochion, the Bogoroditsa (or the Carpenter's) Skete, the Nea Thebais or Gournoskete and Paleomonastiro.
In the 13th c. the monastery is burnt and rebuilt with the financial support of the emperor Andronicus II Paleologus and Serbian rulers. The monastery knows alternatively periods of prosperity and great misery. The monks are Greek and Russian, which outnumber the first after 1497. In the 18th c. the monastery is again in greek hands, only to fall back to the Russians in 1875.
In the monastery there are many portable icons, heirlooms and liturgical vestments. The library contains 1320 greek and 600 slavic manuscripts and over 20,000 greek and russian books.
The monastery in inhabited by a brotherhood of 40 monks.
MONI CHELANDARIOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23281, 23797, 23494, 23108
Fax: +30 23770 23494
The history of the monastery begins in the 10th century but, after its ruin, the emperor Alexius III, in 1198 granted it to the Serbian rulers Stefan Nemanja and his son Rastko, who became monks (Symeon and Sava respectively) who proseeded to the construction of new buildings. During the 14th century, the monastery reached its highest peak, accumulating riches and heirlooms from imperial as well as private donnations.
One of the largest and richest in heirlooms monasteries of the Holy Mountain, Chelandar is the main spiritual center of the Serbs from the 12th century onwards. Besides the central church (Katholicon), honoured in the memory of the Presentation of the Virgin, there are many chapels, the refectory and the aisles with the monks΄ cells as well as the other auxiliary buildings (guest-house, library and others).
The present monastic community preserves close relations with the Serbian people as well as the Greek population of the Holy Mountain and its neighbouring area.
Apart from the abundance of frescoes (St. George΄s Tower, Katholicon, old and new Refectory etc), the monastery possesses one of the largest libraries of Slavonic and Greek manuscripts, as well as a large number of portable icons dated in the 12th century onwards.
MONI DOCHIARIOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23245
It is one of the most elegant and beautiful monasteries of the Holy Mountain, sited by the sea. One sees first the Refectoty (old and new) and ends at the uppermost point on a high tower which dominates the place. The Katholikon, which is equally high, has been built over the walls of the older church.
The monastery was founded during the second half of the 10th century; its foundation is attributed to Euthymios, a pupil of Saint Athanasius of the Great Lavra, who had the service of the "Docheion" (vessel), which gave the name to the monastery. The Katholicon and the Refectory were built and decorated with frescoes in the mid 16th century (1568). The wall-paintings of the Refectory are dated in 1675 and in 1700 (the northern part).
Apart from the 16th century frescoes in the Katholicon, there are also important frescoes of the 18th century in the exonarthex, which are excellent copy of the 14th century from other monuments. Equally remarkable is also the library of the monastery, where one can find, apart from the most important historic monuments, abour 900 manuscripts.
The monastery is inhabited by a very active group of monks who take care of its various needs -especially the hospitality to pilgrims and scholars.
MONI FILOTHEOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23256, 23674-9
Fax: +30 23770 23674
The monastery lies in a paltean, a little above the monastery of Karakallou about 2.5 hrs from Karyes and is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin. The Katholicon is built shortly before the mid 18th c. and decorated with frescoes after the mid 18th c. The monastery has eight chapels and 13 kellia, one of them at Karyes.
The monastery was founded in the last quarter of the 10th c. but only in the end of the 11th c. takes the form of a monastery. In the end of 13th and 14th c. the monastery receives financial aid by the emperors of Byzantium and the Serbian rulers. After the fall of the empire, the monastery is financially supported by the rulers of eastern Europe. In 1871, the monastery with the exception of the Katholikon, the Refectory and the library, is burnt to the ground.
The monastery owns many heirlooms, holy relics and above all the miraculous icon of the Virgin Glykophilousa. The library contains 250 manuscripts and many books.
The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 50 monks.
MONI IVIRON (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23248, 23643-5, 23203
Fax: +30 23770 23248
Third in precedence among the twenty monasteries of the Holy Mountain, the monastery was built in the end of the 10th century by the Georgian (Iberes) monks Ioannis and Euthymius in the place where there was before the monastery of Clement. The 16th century has been a period of prosperity for the monastery, and, as result, it has been decorated with splendid painting works (the Katholicon frescoes etc).
Built by the sea, the monastery is surrounded by four aisles, presenting a rectangular shape. In the center, one sees the central church, founded in the 10th century, as the two historically important chapels, of Panaghia Portaitissa and of John the Precursor. The largest part of the aisles has been rebuilt during the 19th century.
A numerous monastic community is in charge of the restoration of the ruined buildings surrounding the monastery and offers hospitality to scientists from all the world, who wish to study the historic heirlooms of the monastery.
The monastery΄s feast is on August 15th - day of the dormition of the Virgin - (August 28th in the New diary) and is celebrated with particular splendour. Many pilgrims visit the monastery for the legendary miracles of the Panaghia Portaitissa.
MONI KARAKALOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23225, 23279
Fax: +30 23770 23746
The monastery is situated between the monasteries of Great Lavra and Iviron, on a slope by the sea and is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul. Inside the fortified enclosure, there is the Katholikon of athonite type, built in mid 16th c. and decorated with frescoes in the early 18th c. The monastery has 7 chapels, 4 Kellia in Karyes, and 14 Kellia in the forest to the S.W. of it.
The monastery is mentioned in documents of 1018 and 1087. In the 13th c. the monastery is entirely ruined and rebuilt by the emperors Andronic II and Ioannis V Paleologos. Afterwards the monastery is attacked by Latins and pirates. In the 16th c. it is completely destroyed and rebuilt with the financial aid of rulers of Moldavia and Vlachia.
In the monastery, there are many portable icons, holy heirlooms and ecclesiastical vessels. The library contains 279 manuscripts and about 2,500 books.
MONI KONSTAMONITOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23228, 23278
The monastery is situated between the monasteries of Zografou and Dionysiou, 30 min from the sea, in the side of Siggitikos and is dedicated to St Stephen. The Katholicon is built after the mid 19th c. following the athonite type, over the ruins of the old Katholicon. The monastery has 9 chapels.
The first mention of the monastery is from the 11th c. In the early 14th c. it is destroyed. Afterwards, its borders are defined by imperial chrysoboula, and it is financially supported by Serbian rulers. After the fall of the Empire, the monastery knows alternatively periods of prosperity and great
Perhaps, the most outstanding of the monastery's heirlooms, are the portable icons of St Stephen, of Virgin Hodegetria and of Virgin Antiphonetria. There are also reliquaries, ecclesiastical vessels, chrysoboula and others. The library contains 110 manuscripts and many books.
The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 30 monks.
MONI KOUTLOUMOUSSIOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23226
Fax: +30 23770 23731
The monastery buildings are set in a rectangular shape with a rather vast courtyard, with the central church (Katholicon) in its center. The refectory is presently built a new (1995), while the central church, built in the 16th century, is covered with five domes and with a glass covered exonarthex.
The original monastery was built before the 12th century but in the 14th centutry, abbot Chariton of Imvros, receeded to the enlargement of the monastery; during its lifetime vast destructions were caused either by fire or by fall of rocks.
Apart from the Katholicon frescoes dated in the mid 16th century, the monastery possesses more than 600 manuscipts, many of which are illuminated, as well as imporant historic archive and a large number of old printed books.
MONI PANTOKRATOROS (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23253, 23685, 23880
Fax: +30 23770 23685
The monastery is built by the sea, in the N.E. side of the peninsula and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Saviour. The Katholicon follows the athonite type and has frescoes of the 14th c. that were painted over in 1845. The monastery has 15 chapels, the most important of which is that of the Dormition of Virgin. Among the Kellia of the monastery, the most important are of the Ravdouchou, possibly of the 10th c. and the Dormition of the Virgin, named Axion Esti after the namesake icon. The Skete of Prophet Elias belongs also to the monastery.
The monastery's founders were two byzantine officials, Alexios and Ioannis, who in mid 14th c. with the support of the emperor Ioannis 5th Paleologus, transformed their cell into a monastery. After the fall of the empire, the monastery is financially supported by rulers of eastern Europe. Two destructive fires took place in 1773 and recently in 1948.
The monastery possesses a large collection of portable icons, ecclesiastical vessels and heirlooms, while in the library there are 350 manuscripts and over 3,500 books.
The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 25 monks.
MONI XENOFONTOS (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23249, 23633
Fax: +30 23770 23631
It is built by the sea, between the monasteries of Docheiariou and St Panteleimonos, and is dedicated to St George. The Katholicon is built in the early 18th c. and has no frescoes. In the old Katholicon, there are remarkable frescoes of the Cretan painter Antonius (1544) as well as the wooden-curved templum of the 17th c. The monastery possesses 14 chapels, 8 of which are inside the monastery.
The monastery is mentioned for the first time in the last quarter of the 11th c. Its period of prosperity is interrupted by the fall of Constantinople. Afterwards, the monastery is alternatively destroyed and rebuilt with the financial aid from the rulers of eastern Europe.
Among the heirlooms of the monastery, the most prized are the two mosaic icons with the Transfiguration of Christ, ecclesiastical vessels and others. In the library there are 300 manuscripts, various documents and over 4,000 books.
The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 35 monks.
MONI ZOGRAFOU (Monastery) AGION OROS
Tel: +30 23770 23273, 23247
The monastery is situated on a slope of the S.W. part of the peninsula and is dedicated to St George. The Katholicon was built in the beginning of the last century and follows the athonite type. The monastery has eight chapels inside and eight chapels outside of it. The monastery also owns two workshops in Karyes and the Kelliou of Transfiguration.
The monastery was founded, according to tradition, in the 10th c. by three brothers, Moses, Aaron and Ioannis from Achris. In the Late Byzantine period, the monastery is destroyed by Catalan pirates and rebuilt with the financial support of the Paleologan dynasty, as well as that of rulers of eastern Europe. Initially, the monastery was inhabited by Bulgarians, Greeks and Serbs. Since 1845 there are only Bulgarian monks.
Besides two miraculous icons of St George and other two of the Virgin of the Akathistos and the Virgin Epakouousa, the monastery owns and other heirlooms and ecclesiastical vessels.
The library contains 126 greek and 388 slavic manuscripts, and over 8,000 books.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!