MONI ZOGRAFOU (Monastery) AGION OROS - Greek Travel Pages

MONI ZOGRAFOU, Monastery, AGION OROS

Overview

  The monastery is situated on a slope of the S.W. part of the peninsula and is dedicated to St George. The Katholicon was built in the beginning of the last century and follows the athonite type. The monastery has eight chapels inside and eight chapels outside of it. The monastery also owns two workshops in Karyes and the Kelliou of Transfiguration.
  The monastery was founded, according to tradition, in the 10th c. by three brothers, Moses, Aaron and Ioannis from Achris. In the Late Byzantine period, the monastery is destroyed by Catalan pirates and rebuilt with the financial support of the Paleologan dynasty, as well as that of rulers of eastern Europe. Initially, the monastery was inhabited by Bulgarians, Greeks and Serbs. Since 1845 there are only Bulgarian monks.
  Besides two miraculous icons of St George and other two of the Virgin of the Akathistos and the Virgin Epakouousa, the monastery owns and other heirlooms and ecclesiastical vessels.
  The library contains 126 greek and 388 slavic manuscripts, and over 8,000 books.

Find within MONI ZOGRAFOU

pin
0
Related Destinations
View
bed
0
Hotels & Accommodation
View
Boat
Domestic sea schedules

Additional area information for MONI ZOGRAFOU

Choose one from the list below or click here to see them all (4) members only
Total area information: 4 information found around the area

Geographical Data

Postal Code: 63087
Tel +30 23770
Longitude: 24o 09' 37.94" E
Latitude: 40o 18' 22.8" N

Population Census

Year Population
1991 19

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions