Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Places of worship
for destination: "DRAMA
MAKEDONIA EAST & THRACE".
Places of worship (3)
Church of Aghia Sophia
The monument does not provide much information about its history since
it is half-buried in the ground, and almost all its surfaces, both inside and
outside, are covered with plaster; the anteroom and the bell-tower (formerly a
minaret) are later additions. It is a rectangular building with sloped roofs on
the north and south part, and an octagonal dome supported on a rectangular base.
The initial wall masonry is discernible only on the east side. The monument is
dated to the 9th century A.D.
The east side has been restored and the church functions regularly.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture WebPage
Single-aisled, barrel-vaulted church of the Palaiologan period. A
staircase on the east side leads up to the fortress. The
church has undergone many reconstruction phases (1861-1892) but the walls
remain intact. The wall-paintings are dated before the middle of the 14th century.
Excavations on the south and east sides have brought to light part
of the city's fortification wall which communicated with the church by means of
a built staircase which led up to a tower-like section of the wall. It was also
proved that the church was later incorporated into the castle. The church does
not function today but the iconostasis and the wall-paintings have been restored.
The chapel of Taxiarches
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.