PRONI (Ancient city) KEFALLINIA
Pronni, or Pronesus (Pronnoi, Pol.; Pronaioi, Thuc.; Pronesos, Strab.). One of the four towns of Cephallenia, situated upon the south-eastern coast. Together with the other towns of Cephallenia it joined the Athenian alliance in B.C. 431. (Thuc. ii. 30.) It is described by Polybius as a small fortress; but it was so difficult to besiege that Philip did not venture to attack it, but sailed against Pale. (Pol. v. 3.) Livy, in his account of the surrender of Cephallenia to the Romans in B.C. 189, speaks of the Nesiotae, Cranii, Palenses, and Samaei. Now as we know that Proni was one of the four towns of Cephallenia, it is probable that Nesiotae is a false reading for Pronesiotae, which would be the ethnic form of Pronesus, the name of the town in Strabo (x. p. 455). Proni or Pronesus was one of the three towns which continued to exist in the island after the destruction of Same. (Comp. Plin. iv. 12. s. 19.) The remains of Proni are found not far above the shore of Limenia, a harbour about 3 miles to the northward of C. Kapri. (Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 66.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!