Listed 6 sub titles with search on: Sights
for destination: "LITOCHORO
Squares & gardens
"Tou Tsintza to bayri" Square
The Square of the sailors.
1st Primary School
The building was erected in 1904 by sailors.
1-half hour walk from Litochoro town.
Gorges & Ravines
Enipeus River gorge
This gorge goes north from Litochoro town and reaches to the sea.
Monastery of Saint Dionysios of Olympos
A monastery dedicated to Ayia Triada (the Holy Trinity) was built
above the village of Litohoro on the slopes of Mount Olympos
in 1543 by one Dionysios, a holy man and the post-Byzantine saint most beloved
of Macedonians. The monastery served as a depository of culture at a time when
the Ottoman Empire was at its height and Hellenism in all its forms at low ebb.
It suffered the misfortune of being destroyed in the course of World
War II. The monks then took refuge in their dependency, known as the Skala (Landing-place)
of Saint Dionysios, where they re--established their community.
Very few volumes of the old and once well-stocked monastic library
have survived, and of them some have been placed in the library of the Theological
College of Chalki in Istanbul.
A notable attempt is now being made to rebuild the old monastery of Saint Dionysios
By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.