The Monastery was built by the noble Roidis in 1470 near the village
of Mesa Didima. He originally intended to build a summer villa, however, the St.
Matrona appeared in a dream and instructed him to build the Monastery instead.
His sisters were the first two nuns to enter the Monastery. The spiritual leader
of the Monastery during the Turkish Occupation was the Holy Nikiforos of Chios.
The Holy Nikiforos of Chios wrote the 24 Hymns of Agia Matrona. Today, four nuns
dwell in the Monastery. The Monastery celebrates the Saint’s Feast Day on October
20th of each year.