The Monastery of the Panagia Sissia was completely destroyed by the earthquakes
of 1953. A small church stands today in the place of the old monastery. Tradition
has it that it was founded by St. Francis of Assisi. In the 16th century it is
referred to as an orthodox monastery consecrated to the Panagia
Sissia. The monastery's most prized treasure is the icon of the Panagia Akathisti
which today is kept at the Corgialeneios Museum.