This is a stone-built Noble
House with a wooden roof covered with schist slabs and tiles of the "byzantine"
type. It is a three-storie building of rectagular plan. Parts of the first floor
are made of "tsatma" -light construction of wood and plaster- which protrude from
the circumscription of the base and form the so called "sachnisia" of greek folk
architecture. The upper floor is decorated with wall paintings of perfect quality
painted by the extinguished folk painter Theothilos Chatzimichael.
It was built in 1835 and belonged initially to Anastassis Chatzianastassis.
In 1905 it was bought by Ioannis Kontos, who made some changes according to the
neoclassicist prototypes existing at the time both in the inner organization of
space -especially in the levelled ground floor, as well as in the main front of
In 1962 it was characterized as a preserved monument. In 1965 it was
bought by the Ministry of Culture.
In 1966 works took place concerning conservation of wall paintings
as well as repairs and support of the building. There was a new repair during
the years of 1988 -1990.
It is open to the public and functions as "Theophilos Museum".