01 Jun - 31 Oct: Tue-Sun, 09:00-16:00
01 Nov - 31 May: Tue-Sun, 08:00-15:00
Museum of Lamia is housed in the first floor of a renovated, two - storied building within the archaeological site of the Castle of Lamia. It was erected in 1830 by the first king of Greece Otto, after the War of Independence. It served as barracks until World War II. In 1973 the Ministry for Defence conceded its rights over both the castle and the ruined barracks to the Ministry of Culture.
The Museum was inaugurated in September 1994.
The museum includes the following collections:
Neolithic (7th-4th millenium BC)
Early Helladic (ca. 3200 - 2000 BC)
Middle Helladic (ca. 2000 - 1600 BC
Late Helladic (Mycenaean - Submycenaean): 1600 -11th century BC
Early Iron Age (Geometric): 10th - 8th century BC
Archaic (Sanctuaries): 7th - early 5th century BC
Classical - Hellenistic (Pottery - Figurines - Glass): 5th-2nd century BC
Classical - Hellenistic (Metal objects - tomb types - child toys): 5th
- 2nd century BC
Hellenistic (Domestic architecture - Pottery): 3rd - 2nd century BC
Hellenistic (Gold Jewelry): 3rd - 2nd century BC
Economy (Coins - weights- premonetarian means of exchange):
Sculpture: 4th century BC - 2nd century AD
The above exhibits are but a few of the significant findings, which are housed in the Archaeological Museum of Lamia and come from all over the prefecture of Fthiotida. For visitors, the Museum provides guided tours and educational programs, along with the organization of conferences and lectures.