An important town which flourished during much of the Bronze Age (2500-1600 B.C.). In archaic times a temple of Apollo was erected on the site. The one remaining column that stands to date has given the area its name.
The main monuments and architectural complexes of the archaeological site are:
The prehistoric town (2500-1600 B.C.): During the Early Bronze Age (Protohelladic II) a developed walled settlement grew up on the site. Its most remarkable building is the so-called White House, a long two-storey construction, the walls of which were covered with white plaster. The town continued to flourish during the Middle Helladic and Early Mycenaean periods (2000-1600 B.C.).