Last Update: Feb 2012
Byzantine & Post-Byzantine Monuments,
Cultural heritage METEORA
Monastery built on the rocks
Tel.: +30 24320 22277
Fax: +30 24320 75386
Meteora - Overview
The awesome rock formations of Meteora include one of the largest and most significant cluster of monasteries in Greece, second only to that of Mount Athos. The history of monasticism at Meteora dates back to the 11th century, when the first hermits settled on the rocky peaks, which by the end of the 15th century sheltered a total of twenty-four monasteries. Today, only six monasteries still house religious communities: Great Meteoro (14th century), Holy Trinity (1475-76), St. Nicholas Anapausas (early 16th century), Varlaam (1541/2), Rousanou (mid-16th century) and St. Stephen (mid-16th century).
Overlooking a landscape of untamed beauty, the surviving monuments of Meteora represent an illustrative example of the Late Byzantine religious architecture and painting, which were still thriving in the twilight centuries of the empire. As a monument of outstanding cultural and natural importance, this unique site was included in 1988 on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Meteora - Map
Executives & Departments
- Archaeological service:, Tel.: 24310 76647, Fax: 24310 76648
19th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities, Trikala
Principals / HQ / participations...
- As a monument is administered by:
- Is answerable to:
Subsidiaries / affiliates / members...
- Monks monasteries:
- Monastery of Agia Trias (Holy Trinity) at Meteora, METEORA, GREECE
- Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Anapafsa, METEORA, GREECE
- Monastery of Agios Stefanos at Meteora, METEORA, GREECE
- Monastery of the Dormition of Virgin at Vytoumas, VYTOUMAS, GREECE
- Monastery of the Great Meteoro, METEORA, GREECE
- Monastery of Ypapanti at Meteora, METEORA, GREECE
- Roussanou Monastery, METEORA, GREECE
- Varlaam Monastery, METEORA, GREECE
- Monuments of interest:
Activities / facilities / services / specialization
Byzantine & Post-Byzantine Monuments
Art & culture
|Cultural Heritage ||• World Heritage Monument (UNESCO) |
|Visiting Information ||• Fixed hours ||