Information about the place LONGA (Small town) EPIA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place  for wider area of: "LONGA Small town EPIA" .


Information about the place (5)

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

Colonides

KOLONIDES (Ancient city) EPIA
Colonides, Kolonides. A town in the SW. of Messenia, described by Pausanias as standing upon a height at a short distance from the sea, and 40 stadia from Asine. The inhabitants affirmed that they were not Messenians, but a colony led from Athens by Colaenus. It is mentioned by Plutarch (Philop. 18) under the name of Colonis (Kolonis) as a place which Philopoemen marched to relieve; but according to the narrative of Livy (xxxix. 49) Corone was the place towards which Philopoemen marched. The site of Colonides is uncertain. Leake places it upon the Messenian gulf at Kastelia, where are some remains of ancient buildings, N. of Koroni, the site of Asine; but the French commission suppose it to have stood on the bay of Phoenicus, NW. of the promontory Acritas.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


Local government WebPages

St. Andreas

AGIOS ANDREAS (Settlement) EPIA
The area of St. Andreas is an archaeological site and between the community and Logga there is the ancient temple of Apollo while the archaeological spade has brought to light a brass statuette depicting archer, ancient tombs, a small brass bell with the Latin date 1634 (St. Andreas), a marble byzantine round top with a sculptured byzantine cross with the letters «A-Ω» on it as well as marble pillars with Byzantine decorations of crosses, rodakes and laurel. Between Petalidi and Logga there was «polisma» with the temple of Inous.

This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Logga

LONGA (Small town) EPIA
It used to be part of the hitherto borough of Epia. Logga used to be a small village before 1900, and St. Andreas was bigger. St. Andreas is now a holiday resort and the sea of the Messinian Gulf with Taygetos in the background, and the dazzling beaches of Messinian Mani stretch across it. According to Andronikos, Logga existed from the years of the Sarakini of Crete while it was later invaded by the Eneti during the Frank ruling in 1209 and, subsequently, by the Turks, which made many inhabitants move higher up and build a city. This protected them from the Venetian boats and the Turkish armadas which dominated the seas. In the south part of Logga there are remnants of buildings which date back to the Turkish - rule years. The old narrow roads were, according to tradition, constructed by Pasha-Ali. The endless olive grove was burnt by Ibrahem in 1827 in revenge for the fact that the inhabitants had fought against him in battles.

This extract is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.


Present location

Kastelli

KOLONIDES (Ancient city) EPIA

The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Kandianika

NEA KORONI (Village) EPIA
  About 80 stadia from ancient Koroni (at Petalidi, cf. p. 463) was located (Paus. 4.34.7) the ancient Sanctuary of Apollo Kory(n)thos, where two cult statues of the god were displayed. During the excavations of Versakis, which were held N of the Kandianika village, a part of this sanctuary was discovered. The cult of Apollo started during the early archaic period and continued until the end of the Roman era. Four temples were built, of which the 3d (g) peripteral with 6 x 12 columns dating back to the archaic period was erected on the spot of the 1st (d). The 4th (a), built close to the 2d (b), during the Hellenistic period, survived through the Roman period. There was a guesthouse and, at least during the Roman period, a triclinium. On the site of the 3d temple was built an Early Christian basilica and later the St. Andreas Church.
  Among the bronze finds of the sanctuary should be mentioned archaic and Classical idols (one depicting a hoplite), and especially swords and spear-butts with engraved dedications to Athena and Apollo (Apollo may originally have been worshiped as a warlike god, though later he was greatly honored as healer of diseases).

G. S. Korres, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions