EL
Greek Travel Pages

MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU (ART), Monastery, ARTA

You are here GREECE ARTA MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU

MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU Monastery ARTA

Overview

  The church is a three-aisled basilica with a transverse barrel-vault. The east side ends in three semi-hexagonal apses while a narthex was later added to the west. The walls are adorned on the outside with a great variety of brick and tile decoration, including an inscription inset in a brick. The interior is richly decorated with wall paintings dated to the 18th century.
  The monastery was built in the 13th century, by Michael Doukas Comnenos, the Despot of Epiros. In the period of the Turkish occupation it was renamed to "Panagia tis Vryseos" (Holy Virgin of the spring), because it was located near a spring. In the sigillium of Patriarch Jeremian II (1591) it is mentioned that the Paregoritissa Monastery became the metochion (dependence) of the Monastery of Kato Panaghia.
  The roof and the windows of the north and south sides were reconstructed in 1969. The restoration of the wall paintings began in 1994, and in 1995 the roof was replaced and the wall masonry was consolidated. The restoration work is still in progress. The monument is now used as a convent for nuns.

Find within MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU

pin
0
Related Destinations
View
bed
0
Hotels & Accommodation
View
Boat
Domestic sea schedules

Additional area information for MONI GENISSIS THEOTOKOU

Choose one from the list below or click here to see them all (3) members only


Total area information: 3 information found around the area

Population Census

Year Population
1991 78

Geographical Data

Type of location: Settlement
Other Names: MONI KATO PANAGIAS (Known as:)
Postal Code: 47100
Tel +30 26810
Altitude: 30 meters
Longitude: 20o 59' 20.57" E
Latitude: 39o 08' 41.69" N

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.