EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 9 sub titles with search on: History for wider area of: "SPARTI Municipality LACONIA" .


History (9)

Catastrophes of the place

AMYKLES (Ancient sanctuary) SPARTI

By Philip the Macedon

The Lacedaemonians were in a state of the utmost terror at this unexpected invasion and quite at a loss how to meet it. Philip on the first day pitched his camp at Amyclae. The district of Amcyclae, one of the most richly timbered and fertile in Laconia, lies about twenty stades from Sparta and includes a temple of Apollo, which is the most famous of all the Laconian shrines. It lies between Sparta and the sea (Polybius 5,18-19).


Educational institutions WebPages

SPARTI (Ancient city) LACONIA


Links


Official pages

Architecture of recent Sparta. A brief history.

1834. Sparta is reborn. The Greeks aim at creating a new city in the place of olive oils and reeds. The area is surveyed by Yohmous, a resident of Magoula. There are no other ancient remains but the Tomb of Leonidas, the shuttles of the theatre, the Roman Baths. The governor Kapodistrias had disagreed with recreating the city claiming that any excavations would only uncover more ancient ruins. But Othon signed the recreation enactment based on Schtaufert's plans. It was an ambitious idea, since the city was supposed to have 100.000 people while today there are 20.000. Nevertheless, it was a noble idea: a Hippodamian system, wide avenues, spacious squares, public buildings, shopping centers and commercial areas.
1837. Authorities are situated in Sparta and it becomes the capital with Meletopoulos as its first Mayor. The Residency has already been built on the upper square and simple, provincial buildings are starting to fill the space around it. The new buildings are of pure Greek architecture, roofed verandah to the south and a fireplace in the winteroom. This presented a problem for the gentry who prefer high - ceiling houses with symmetrical windows, little decorated balconies and trimmings under the roof like those of Mistras.
1840. The city becomes alive as Douroutis builds a silk factory, the first of many, a very demanding and expensive task. Unfortunately, nothing is left of those first constructions.
1860. The city is expanding. Shops are built on the upper square with high roofs and arches and a second floor to the south where the craftshops are. The money to finance new buildings comes from the division of the central square. What's left today are the buildings on Palaiologou Street.
1870. The city is acculturated. The Ionic Museum is made of marble, which will later be substituted, with cement. The construction of the Cathedral starts at the top of the hill. The model is neoclassic like Athens, except for the artificial decorative elements of course.
1890. The city is growing both upwards towards the acropolis and downwards towards the Palace. The cost of this expansion will be the constant uncovering of ancient ruins, just like Kapodistrias had foreseen.
1900. Neoclassicism is peeking influencing buildings that were of a different style. It is the completion of the City Hall, the Gallery and many other houses of the gentry.
1930. The Bauhaus movement is beginning to simplify buildings. As a result the noblemen now prefer an equally dominating but simpler way of expression. K. Panagiotakos builds the High School for boys. Silk is becoming more rare. Gortsolagos is responsible for the water supply of Sparta.
1940. The war breaks out. 118 fall victim to German troops at Monothendri.
1950. The need of work draws villagers to Sparta. It is the beginning of peripheral construction. The houses are simple, rectangular with a traditional roof. As time goes by and with the help of mechanics, they become more complicated but not necessarily more beautiful. As far as beauty is concerned, the Xenia Hotel is built kindly requesting our tending. As far as innovation is concerned, a house by T. Zenetos is built opposite the 3rd Elementary School. Even today, the prominence of that house is notable.
1970. Cement is everywhere and so are blocks of flats. The School of Professions is pulled down as well as neoclassic buildings. The picturesque arches of the square are vanishing. Cars fill the streets and the image of the old, calm city is fading away.
1997. The palm trees of Palaiologou Street are still there. The houses of craftsmen on Pirsogianni Street are still there. All remaining neoclassic buildings are renovated. The pedestrian zone is alive and the parks are full of people again. The State is transforming the square aiming at highlighting ancient Sparta and turning the FIX building by T. Zenetos into a museum. The word is that a walk on the Evrotas banks will be possible. The fragrance of the Spartan orange trees is still in the air every Easter.

George Giaxoglou, ed.
This text is cited Apr 2003 from the Municipality of Sparti URL below.


SPARTI (Ancient city) LACONIA


Participation in the fights of the Greeks

Battle of Thermopylae

   The Hellenes who awaited the Persians in that place were these: three hundred Spartan armed men; one thousand from Tegea and Mantinea, half from each place; one hundred and twenty from Orchomenus in Arcadia and one thousand from the rest of Arcadia; that many Arcadians, four hundred from Corinth, two hundred from Phlius, and eighty Mycenaeans. These were the Peloponnesians present; from Boeotia there were seven hundred Thespians and four hundred Thebans.

This extract is from: Herodotus. The Histories (ed. A. D. Godley, 1920), Cambridge. Harvard University Press. Cited Apr 2003 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains comments & interesting hyperlinks.


The place was conquered by:

AMYKLES (Ancient sanctuary) SPARTI

Lacedaemonians

   Archelaus had a son Teleclus. In his reign the Lacedaemonians conquered in war and reduced Amyclae, Pharis, and Geranthrae, cities of the Perioeci, which were still in the possession of the Achaeans. The inhabitants of Pharis and Geranthrae, panic-stricken at the onslaught of the Dorians, made an agreement to retire from the Peloponnesus under a truce, but those of Amyclae were not driven out at the first assault, but only after a long and stubborn resistance, in which they distinguished themselves by glorious achievements. To this heroism the Dorians bore witness by raising a trophy against the Amyclaeans, implying that their success was the most memorable exploit of that time.

This extract is from: Pausanias. Description of Greece (ed. W.H.S. Jones, Litt.D., & H.A. Ormerod, 1918). Cited May 2003 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains comments & interesting hyperlinks.


SPARTI (Ancient city) LACONIA

Antigonus Doson, 221 BC

He supported the Achaean League against Cleomenes, king of Sparta, whom he defeated at Sellasia in 221, and took Sparta.


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

AMYKLES (Ancient sanctuary) SPARTI

Amyklai

  According to Pausanias, an Achaian or pre-Dorian stronghold, incorporated by conquest as the fifth village of Sparta probably early in the 8th c. B.C. Excavation has been almost entirely confined to the hill of Haghia Kyriaki about 5 km S of Sparta. The prehistoric settlement, which spanned the entire Bronze Age, was concentrated on the SE slopes; the historical site may have extended in an arc from N of the hill to modern Amyklae.
  A little way down the hill, immediately outside and below a terrace wall, a small stratified deposit, composed of debris accumulated discontinuously between the Byzantine and Early Mycenaean periods, has been identified.
  The Sanctuary of Apollo was laid out in the 8th c. Its centerpiece was the tomb (presumably an earthen tumulus) of Hyakinthus, a pre-Greek divinity whose cult was conflated with that of Apollo in the annual festival of the Hyakinthia. In the 7th or early 6th c. a 15 m-high statue of Apollo was fashioned in the form of a cylinder with arms (holding spear and bow) and helmeted head. About 550 B.C. the face of Apollo was plated with Lydian gold, a gift from King Croesus, and shortly thereafter Bathykles of Magnesia designed the Doric-Ionic complex later known as the throne of Apollo. The cult statue was set on an altar faced with stone reliefs depicting mythological scenes; similar reliefs decorated the interior and exterior friezes of the surrounding superstructure, whose main entrance was formed by four half-columns crowned by console capitals. The rich archaic dedications include bronze vessels and figurines, terracotta figurines (mainly female), and a few lead and ivory pieces; pottery was comparatively scarce. A contemporary deposit of over 10,000 dedications to Alexandra-Kassandra has been excavated at Haghia Paraskevi nearby; these and sporadic finds from the neighborhood confirm the evidence of Haghia Kyriaki that Amyklaean material culture, like that of Sparta, reached its zenith in the 7th and 6th c. There is nothing noteworthy among the later finds.

P. Cartledge, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.